I live with mould, damp and sewage in the basement — my flat’s making me ill

DEAR DEIDRE:  MY nightmare landlord is making me ill.

My husband and I have been living in a converted flat for ten years and last year someone new bought the building.

Getty Images – Getty

I’m 48 and the stress of this is killing me[/caption]

Since then conditions in the house have deteriorated. There’s mould and damp appearing everywhere, and sewage in the basement.

Nobody cleans the communal areas, and the smoke, carbon monoxide and fire alarms aren’t tested – and don’t work. It’s becoming a death trap.

When we complained to our landlord, he tried to have us evicted.

I’m 48 and the stress of this is killing me.

I’ve been feeling dizzy, having chest pains, migraines and nightmares.

I can now only sleep three hours a night.

I fear I’ll lose my job. My husband, 49, is depressed too.

Get in touch with Deidre today

My team and I are working safely from home but we are here to help you as always.

Send an email to deardeidre@the-sun.co.uk.

Every problem gets a personal reply, usually within 24 hours weekdays.

You can also send a private message on the DearDeidreOfficial Facebook page.

Follow me on Twitter @deardeidre.


DEIDRE SAYS: Your landlord is being negligent and it’s no wonder you are depressed.

I urge you to contact Shelter (shelter.org.uk), who offer free housing advice on their helpline, 0808 800 4444.

You also need to talk to your GP about what is happening to you health-wise. If you have chest pains again, please call an ambulance.

NEXT IN TODAY’S DEAR DEIDRE I can’t stop thinking about male colleague even though I’m married to a woman

READ DEIDRE’S CLASSIC PHOTO CASEBOOK Guy has naughty chats over the internet while Tina’s out

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk